On-Site Conversions Tripled After One Year of SEO and Conversion Optimization
PerryVidex.com had been optimized for organic search but we were certain that improvements could be made.Many of the keyword phrases being targeted were very broad and though driving traffic they were not converting in Google. We needed to determine the keywords that were being searched for in this industry to drive more qualified traffic to the site to increase the leads/conversions.
We started with an in-depth assessment of the perryvidex.com website to determine what could be improved to gain more traffic and conversions. We did extensive keyword research to determine the optimal keywords for organic search. This information was then used to begin the complete optimization process.
Beyond the initial on-page optimization, we used a series of content marketing techniques. Among them, article publishing and guest blogging had the biggest push. To gain the most exposure, content was published in the industrial manufacturing sector.
When the baseline was established in November 2013, perryvidex.com had 8,641 visitors from organic search and 79 conversions. At the end of the campaign, November 2014 visitors from organic increased to 12,640 but conversions nearly tripled to 181.
Verifi Captures 181 Inquiries in Niche Market In Just Two Months
Verifi creates innovative electronic payment and risk management solutions for online merchants that deal with card-not-present transactions. Verifi’s technically-oriented associates had never focused on marketing and did not understand their customers well or how to communicate with them. Top management was frustrated because they knew that there was potential to grow more rapidly but had only been able to generate a few, low-quality leads. Therefore, they hired a chief marketing officer to exploit the opportunity.
The CMO recognized that Verifi did not have the skills and resources internally to gain necessary market insights or generate demand. So he hired NuSpark Marketing as Verifi’s ancillary marketing department.
The first challenge we faced was to become familiar with Verifi’s customers. We wanted to learn what triggers their interest in Verifi’s solutions, how they travel through the buying cycle, the people they talk with along the way, the content they consume and how they make their purchase decision. We conducted research with Verifi’s clients and developed five distinct buyer personas that described customer motivations and decision making. We mapped buyers’ questions to the content required answer them. This content map provided Verifi with direction on how to walk prospects seamlessly through their buying cycle.
In addition, we built a demand generation program that included:
- Paid search
- On-site and guest-blog posts
- LinkedIn sponsored posts
- Content syndication through e-blasts as well as online advertising on targeted websites
- Landing pages to capture leads
- Retargeting campaigns that advertise to those who leave landing pages without converting to a lead
- Videos that explain complex concepts in a quick, engaging way
Once we captured leads, we followed up with an email lead-nurturing campaign that offered a mix of relevant content and free assessments and trials, allowing us to increase prospects’ familiarity with and trust of Verifi.
As a result of NuSpark Marketing’s efforts, click throughs on paid search advertising increased by 113%. Also, landing page conversion rate moved up from 0.26% to 3.95% due to using more highly targeted, relevant keywords in ads, A/B testing and improved landing-page copy. Also, in just the first two months we increased leads from virtually none to 181. NuSpark Marketing continues to develop Verifi’s demand generation and lead nurturing programs.
Manufacturer Generates 40 Monthly Leads For Laser Scanning Equipment
Leica Geosystems, a company that designs and produces 3D laser scanning equipment and software for surveying and measurement, has its roots in land surveying. The potential of its products, however, to solve problems in industrial plants, drew it into the plant market in recent years.
Sales people were putting forth a valiant effort to sell 3D scanners to industries that ranged from oil and gas to aerospace, cobbling together their own sales presentations, while marketing focused on traditional markets. At the same time, reps battled with price objections when prospects learned that Leica Geosystems’ leading laser scanner was twice the price of competitors’ models. The problem, however, was not price but lack of education. Education was critical for prospects to understand that Leica Geosystems offered high value.
NuSpark Marketing believes in starting with a solid foundation before launching into a marketing initiative. So, we wanted to learn how potential buyers tick, what keeps them up at night, the questions they have about laser scanning, and how they make decisions. Therefore, we conducted persona research that revealed two key personas who influenced the buying decision. Each had distinct informational needs — one focused on the technical benefits of 3D laser scanning and its ability to make their lives easier and safer, and the other motivated by bottom-line results.
Based on our findings, we developed a content strategy, a map to show how each piece of content helped to move the buying decision forward, and an editorial calendar outlining a schedule for producing e-books, case studies, webinars and more. We built and implemented the content marketing, demand generation and lead management strategy.
Our first initiative was to create an e-book and promote it with an e-blast through Plant Engineering. We also developed and implemented a lead nurturing plan through Leica Geosystems’ marketing automation system.
Because the e-book addressed buyer needs that we had unearthed through the research, and we advertised it through laser-targeted media, Leica Geosystems was able to generate 80 inquiries in a niche market in just six weeks. Lead nurturing and continued demand generation is now underway with leads continuing to grow.
Tele-Services Company Increases Leads Generated by 1,400% in 1 Year
3D2B had a strong position in the European market but wanted to expand into North America where they were unknown. They were starting from ground zero with no demand generation or lead nurturing strategy. They knew that to reach a new audience their marketing initiatives should center on their website; however, it was starved of compelling content and offered no pathway for turning web-browsers into buyers.
In addition, another obstacle lay between management and their goals — tele-services, although vital to business growth have less than stellar reputation. They asked NuSpark Marketing to help launch the international expansion by creating and implementing a lead and demand generation process.
NuSpark Marketing believes in fact-based marketing — truly understanding prospects and clients before reaching out to them. Therefore, we started with persona research. The study included interviews with clients to unravel how they move through the buying process, the content they consume along the way, the questions they ask and, ultimately, how they make decisions. In addition, we surveyed the competitive landscape. This research became the foundation on which we built and implemented the content marketing and lead management strategy.
We mapped out content needed to answer all the buyers’ questions and move them logically through the research and decision-making process. Then we:
- Provided advice on their website and landing page redesign
- Created a demand generation promotional calendar
- Developed multiple white papers, e-books, case studies and webinars
- Managed 3D2B’s pay-per click advertising
- Took charge of website’s search engine optimization
- Created compelling content for their website through website copywriting and ongoing blogging
- Opened up 3D2B to new audiences via guest posting on high-traffic, well-recognized websites such as Salesforce.com
- Ensured distribution of new content and built relationships through social media management
- Further promoted content through precision targeted third-party lists
- Gave guidance on how to nurture leads effectively and efficiently using marketing automation
- Measured and analyzed all results, to provide direction for optimizing conversions
- Offered ongoing strategic leadership
Due to search engine optimization and paid advertising, web traffic quadrupled in one year. Organic traffic increased 150% as 3D2B rose in the search engine rankings for targeted keyword phrases. Even more importantly, we increased leads by 1400%. Also, 3D2B increased sales conversions on their website by 433%.
Paid Search Increased Lead Quality For Significant Decrease in Cost-Per-Conversion
Rapid Learning Institute (RLI) is an e-learning company based outside Philadelphia. RLI provides an online training system that helps sales managers and HR managers train their teams to be better leaders and more productive employees. In most companies, accountability for talent development lies with managers. The problem is, most managers lack the skill, the resources or the time to perform that task effectively. The RLI gives managers the tools they need to turn talent development into a manageable task.
RLI had been promoting their products via paid search for 6 months before Paul Mosenson of NuSpark Marketing (and Baldy Dog alliance) took over. The issues were many: poor quality leads; cookie-cutter ads, and very high cost-per-conversion, which lead to a poor ROI. RLI let go their previous search provider, and seeked out the talents of Mosenson and his team to reorganize the campaign, generate better quality clicks and conversions, and get the cost-per-conversion goals to manageable levels.
The NuSpark Marketing paid search solution for RLI started with two initiatives; persona research, and conversion architecture.
Persona Research: We took a deep dive into the target audience; learning the issues sales managers have; what problems they have, what their potential solutions are, and how RLI can solve their business challenges. Once we fully understand the needs of the target audience, we then put together a conversion plan.
Conversion Plan: No paid search plan works without a sound conversion architecture. Called conversion rate optimization (CRO), we put together a group of landing pages tied into each of the new ad groups we planned to develop. We set up a test for each landing page whereby each ad group would either go to a free content landing page (white paper download on sales training) or a free trial page. Each landing page was developed with the audience in mind- scan-able copy, compelling image, testimonials and benefits, and a short web form to limit form abandonment.
Paid Search Structure: We then married the landing pages with new ad groups. Ad groups were organized based on a specific sales manager pain point. Ad groups were broken down into three major categories:
- Sales Meeting ideas and topics (2 ad groups)
- Sales Skills and Techniques (10 ad groups)
- Sales Results and Productivity (6 ad groups)
Keyword research combined long-tail terms (search queries three or more words) and 3 match types- modified broad, phrase, and exact. In addition, a large list of negative terms was developed, so that ads were shown to more relevant searches. Then, 3-4 ads per ad group were developed; very specific to the ad groups and keywords, in order to improve campaign quality scores. In addition, after 2 months, a successful retargeting campaign was implemented; targeting audiences who did not perform an initial conversion, but then did convert due to the retargeting message.
Google, as well as Bing and Yahoo, were consistently optimized for performance on a frequent basis.
Between February and June (first 5 months), the campaign worked tremendously and achieved the goals of RLI.
- Clicks increased 48%
- Conversions increased 135%
- Cost per Click decreased 36%
- Cost per Conversion decreased 72%
RLI Vice President of Marketing, Brian McCallum, wrote Paul a testimonial:
“In November 2011 we hired Paul Mosenson and NuSpark Marketing to manage our paid search lead generation efforts. Our ROI was not reaching goal and the cost-per-conversions were unacceptable. Paul came in, helped us with our conversion tactics, revised our ad group strategy, and put together a comprehensive paid search effort that resulted in an increase in quality leads and a significant decrease in cost-per-conversion. His strategic approach, enthusiasm, and results-focused attitude are outstanding. Any firm would benefit immensely by utilizing Paul and his team for lead generation optimization.”
Social Media, Content Marketing and SEO to Build Traffic
XXX Products is a manufacturer of a well-known brand of household appliances, sold via hardware stores, department stores, and online stores. XXX is in a competitive field and asked NuSpark Marketing to implement and manage a social media program to build and enhance the XXX brand.
Although XXX had dabbled into social media with a Facebook business page, what they really needed was a comprehensive content plan and a strategic approach to fan engagement including analytics and measurement. Additionally, XXX wanted to be known as a source for appliance information for audiences doing appliance research on search engines, and thus an SEO plan was also requested.
NuSpark Marketing put together a multi-faced social media and content program designed to engaged audiences, build the brand’s attributes, and drive website traffic. Our challenge was to make a standard nondescript household appliance into one with personality. Content that is shared via social media channels must be interesting and encourage sharing. Our approach:
- Based on competitive research and audience demographics, we chose Facebook, YouTube, and Google+ as initial channels to build a presence.
- We put together a quarterly content plan covering monthly and weekly themes, brand attribute categories, XXX events and announcements, and product-of-the-week spotlights. We also incorporated (planned, wrote, and posted) website content in the form of usage tips and “how-to” articles to drive website traffic from social channels.
- Following the quarterly calendar, we implemented 2-week at-a-time social media posting calendars with post details, links, and photos, shared content and original content postings. We also posted “trigger” events (not planned but timely) where appropriate.
- We also planned and shot monthly “how-to” videos for the XXX website, YouTube channel, and other channels to increase engagement.
- We implemented numerous product giveaway sweepstakes promotions on Facebook to drive “page likes” and mailing list entrants for email marketing.
- To grow Facebook fans initially, we took advantage of some Facebook advertising, targeting specific interests, ages, and states with Timeline ads and sponsored story ads.
- We created and optimized Google+ and YouTube branded channels.
- We performed a comprehensive blogger outreach research program, and implemented bimonthly pitch events that included product reviews and product giveaways. Each event was promoted heavily within each blogger’s social media channels as well as PR distribution services; for SEO.
- We implemented an SEO program based on relevant keywords and content strategy.
An example of our posting calendar headings:
Our strategies and tactics have worked tremendously well in many of the major metric categories and thus continue to achieve client goals. Metric highlights:
- Facebook Page Likes- average growth 15 likes per day from non-advertising sources
- Posts average over 3% virality (a sound measure of posting success)
- Facebook post consumptions have increased over 100% versus prior periods
- Organic website traffic has increased 50% 2Q versus 1Q and continues to grow.