Your database of customers and prospects is a crucial list of names that act as a lifeblood for your business.
Database marketing allows you to create and implement specific email messages targeted to audience segments. The advantages of maintaining a robust database are many:
- By keeping track of demographic and purchase history for each contact, you’re building a sales profile so that marketing to unqualified prospects are minimized.
- You are able to segment audiences for target marketing needs.
- Duplicates and redundant data are flagged and eliminated.
- By separating a controlled list with a variable list, ideal test marketing can occur.
- Patterns of selling can be tracked, allowing cross-sell and upsell opportunities.
- Communications can be personalized if the strategy dictates.
You’ll want to capture as much data as possible in your database.
Categories such as demographic data, transactional data, response data, buying roles, and lead sources should be tracked. Building a good database does take time. Our best practices:
- Focus on list building via demand generation efforts. Buying lists can be an opportunity, but you increase chance of spam and junk mail.
- Through Marketing Automation or simple webforms, leads captured should be imported automatically (or based on lead score) to your CRM.
- Have an easy opt-in and opt-out process.
- Keep the list clean and updated.
If Marketing Automation is not the solution for you, we can evaluate other email marketing programs and recommend the right one for you. Together with your NuSpark Marketing content strategist, we can consult with you proper email message deployment techniques.
Direct Mail can still work for B2B marketers. The DMA’s 2010 Response Rate Study reported a healthy 1.68 percent response rate to B-to-B prospecting letter mail and 2.18 percent to a postcard. With 18,500 business lists available for rent in the U.S., most prospective business buyers can be found through the mail. Business purchasers are always looking for information to help them do their jobs, and they generally welcome letters.
Summary of Approach
Make sure your firm has a clean, sound, updated customer database. If you need help, we can bring in our database strategist to manage the process.
Next Stop: Social Media for Sales